Defeating death has been something sought since the beginning of time. The Fountain of Youth was a major component in my novel BLOOD, THE SECOND HELPING. But what was the Fountain of Youth really? Where did the legends come from? Here’s a short look at the theories and what it means to live forever.
For Day #2 in my 31 Days of Halloween series, I figured I’d focus on my second novel. This time I’ll share some historical events that I tied into BLOOD, THE SECOND HELPING. How do vampires fit into human history? What events were they directly involved with? Is our history as true as we are taught? Here’s a list of hints toward what happens.
1) King Arthur was the first human to figure out the weakness of a vampire he encountered, so the legendary sword, Excalibur was forged from silver to be placed in the “stone,” which is not quite what legend says.
2) The Sphinx in Egypt has been a mystery for ages, but there is much more to the mystery and riddle than we know. Two vampires that ruled the land long ago had the monument built to hide something that could prove fatal to their kind.
3) Vlad “The Impaler” Tepes may not be the Dracula that Bram Stoker wrote about, but he is certainly tied closely to the man who truly is the dark vampire lord.
4) Chicago in the early 1900s was filled with heavy mob activity. Imagine that scene when a vigilante vampire begins abducting them. Tempers will rise and betrayal will ensue.
5) Wine has changed throughout history, but no one knows that wine is good for the blood more than a vampire. The longest lived vineyard in the world rises and falls.
6) The Fountain of Youth holds the key to the mysteries of why the Amazon rainforest is so vast and full of life, but the Fountain itself is a mystery. Could Abel (the world’s first victim of murder) be the answer?
7) Elizabeth Bathory’s name may make some people think of the game where you stare into the mirror and call “Bloody Mary”, but what are the true origins of that urban legend and why?
8) There’ve been numerous stories in the past thirty years about teens who actually believed they were vampires. In reality they aren’t but following the trail of one of these teens might make you see it in a different manner.
9) Various faiths tell the story of when Cain killed Abel, but what was the mark that was truly placed on Cain by God?
10) What was going on behind the lines during the most violent battle of the Russo Japanese War?
11) The CIA has been involved in many conspiracies, but there is one that has been kept a secret for over 40 years… They know about the existence of vampires and may even have employed the like in their ranks.
12) The story of Samson and Delilah is filled with betrayal, lust, and (you guessed it) a vampire.
BLOOD, THE SECOND HELPING and its spinoff graphic novel comic, LEGENDS OF VAMPIRE, are available through links on the right side of this page. Stay tuned for more 31 days of halloween, tomorrow.