Day 4 of #scrypthalloween takes a look at LEGENDS OF VAMPIRE. This is a short story spinoff of yesterday’s post. It was originally in graphic novel form with nine artists involved including my brother @dpipito who headed art direction and helped create the cover from my vision. I wanted something that looked like an old oil painting but actually taken from photograph and wanted to emphasize the vampire connection; as well as wine, since the latter is good for the blood. Now also available in text form It serves as an expansion to the historical events mentioned in the novel. It can be purchased in print at lulu.com or as part of the Eden’s Order trilogy at Amazon and Barnes & Noble….
official description: You are alone with someone you just met. You hit it off and lean in to kiss that person, only to realize that their teeth are now two inch fangs. Your “friend” is a vampire thirsting for your blood. This short story contains events mentioned in the novel upon which it was based, “Blood, The Second Helping”. #vampire #vampire #shortstory #eternalhungersaga
Day 3 of #scrypthalloween takes a look at my #novel BLOOD, THE SECOND HELPING. The cover art here (sans text) by @dpipito hides some of the plot in its colors. This was originally planned as a sequel to another book idea, but after the success of F&L it made more sense to do a #vampire #book. My villain Cain is a many fan favorite, as well as how I incorporated real historical events into the narrative. It’s available in print and digital forms at Lulu.com and Amazon, as well… as part of the Eden’s Order trilogy at those markets and Barnes and Noble. …….
official description: Gordon Lightcap and his group of unique specialists race against time to stop the coming apocalypse. Cain, the world’s first vampire, and his House of Twelve, have waited an eternity to put this world changing plan into motion. At the center of these two sides is one woman with two identities. Her human persona of Moira Donatelli, has left clues to assist Gordon in his quest, while her vampire identity, Lilith the Deceiver, has helped Cain back to power. Both men must fight for their survival as well as the woman they love.
When I was writing my novel BLOOD, THE SECOND HELPING, as well as its spinoff short LEGENDS OF VAMPIRE, I covered all avenues of vampire lore. Doing so meant that I had to see what was already out there, so that I wouldn’t mimic anything already done.
My favorite vampire research items always remain constant. Bram Stoker’s Dracula goes without saying. I was a fan of the 1930s version, and the remake, but the book adds to the greatness that the films had.
For a little more supernatural feel I delved into the Blade trilogy (and even the series). The movies went beyond vampire lore and into superhero territory, but were and still are fun to watch.
Legacy of Kain was a video game series that included 5 games. Why they never went forth and made another is beyond me, because this series’ antagonist has one of the most evil vampires I’ve seen in story form. Kain is far from the Cain in my novels, and his story delves deep into vampire lore with a twist. I’m still holding my breath for a reboot sequel, but until that time I have the memories of these games. *Side note… I actually wrote a manuscript of these games to pitch to publishers a few years back. Due to ownership rights of the game it wasn’t something that was possible. Maybe I’ll try again when the rights revert to one owner.
Finally, you can’t have vampires without a good glass of wine, and Vampire is the one to get for that. The gift package even comes in a coffin for the bottle.
What are some of you favorite vampire stories? Make sure to post and #scrypthalloween, and tag me or let me know. My favorite posts from each day in October are winning free copies of some of my works. Feel free to ask any questions.
For Day #2 in my 31 Days of Halloween series, I figured I’d focus on my second novel. This time I’ll share some historical events that I tied into BLOOD, THE SECOND HELPING. How do vampires fit into human history? What events were they directly involved with? Is our history as true as we are taught? Here’s a list of hints toward what happens.
1) King Arthur was the first human to figure out the weakness of a vampire he encountered, so the legendary sword, Excalibur was forged from silver to be placed in the “stone,” which is not quite what legend says.
2) The Sphinx in Egypt has been a mystery for ages, but there is much more to the mystery and riddle than we know. Two vampires that ruled the land long ago had the monument built to hide something that could prove fatal to their kind.
3) Vlad “The Impaler” Tepes may not be the Dracula that Bram Stoker wrote about, but he is certainly tied closely to the man who truly is the dark vampire lord.
4) Chicago in the early 1900s was filled with heavy mob activity. Imagine that scene when a vigilante vampire begins abducting them. Tempers will rise and betrayal will ensue.
5) Wine has changed throughout history, but no one knows that wine is good for the blood more than a vampire. The longest lived vineyard in the world rises and falls.
6) The Fountain of Youth holds the key to the mysteries of why the Amazon rainforest is so vast and full of life, but the Fountain itself is a mystery. Could Abel (the world’s first victim of murder) be the answer?
7) Elizabeth Bathory’s name may make some people think of the game where you stare into the mirror and call “Bloody Mary”, but what are the true origins of that urban legend and why?
8) There’ve been numerous stories in the past thirty years about teens who actually believed they were vampires. In reality they aren’t but following the trail of one of these teens might make you see it in a different manner.
9) Various faiths tell the story of when Cain killed Abel, but what was the mark that was truly placed on Cain by God?
10) What was going on behind the lines during the most violent battle of the Russo Japanese War?
11) The CIA has been involved in many conspiracies, but there is one that has been kept a secret for over 40 years… They know about the existence of vampires and may even have employed the like in their ranks.
12) The story of Samson and Delilah is filled with betrayal, lust, and (you guessed it) a vampire.
BLOOD, THE SECOND HELPING and its spinoff graphic novel comic, LEGENDS OF VAMPIRE, are available through links on the right side of this page. Stay tuned for more 31 days of halloween, tomorrow.